A popular Misquote

3 John 1:2 (KJV)  Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

This is a salutation, a greeting from one brother. He isn't teaching wealth or health prosperity here.  Let's attempt to understand the heart of John in this passage.

"Beloved" (loved ones, those dear to my heart).

"I wish" (I'm not commanding or saying it's a fact. It's a strong desire).

"Above all things" (of the many desires I have for you, this one is the greatest. I don't desire that your soul would be saved from sin and committed to God, because that has already happened. I rejoice continually over that because that's the reason for which Christ came, and I'm glad to know you're the one of the reasons [Look at verse 3-5] . So as regarding material things, this are the ones I desire the most).

"that thou mayest prosper" ( I desire that you have material possession in abundance, which would make you comfortable and more so, to comfort and enrich the church, because it's not wrong for the church to be in need [look at verse 5-8][1 Corinthians 16:14-18].

"and be in health" ( I desire that you suffer no sickness emotionally, and physically, that you're continually energized for the work of God until the day you finish your pilgrimage).

"even as thy soul prospereth" (Your soul prospering is what matters to me and what should matter to me. There's no need to desire it since that is already so. It's even a Biblical truth that if your soul is saved from sin, and under God's precious care, then your soul is prospering. I wouldn't have these material desires for you if your soul was not prospering in the first place. So since the most important is settled, now I desire that your body and pocket prospers too)
 
   There's nothing wrong to desire to be rich, or to even be rich, as long as you get that wealth through godly means, as long as it doesn't cause you to stumble from the real issues of life. Ensure first that you have been saved from eternal damnation by the precious blood of the King of kings through His death and resurrection.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'POLICE ARREST'

True Patriotism

THE VIRUS